Nearly every person has been affected by cancer. Whether you, a friend, a family member, or a neighbor has or has had cancer, there is a community of support for you in our community.
Getting screened for cancer regularly and watching for warning signs are an important part of staying healthy. There are high quality screening and support services here in the San Luis Valley.
All adults should visit their health care provider from time to time, even if they are healthy. Especially with some types of cancer, screenings are essential. Colon cancer and breast cancer can be detected and treated before the cancer develops or spreads.
Make an appointment with your doctor today, or visit our Cancer Care services section and make an appointment.
It is also critical to recognize when changes are happening in your body. Here are a couple things to look for. If you notice any changes, talk to your health care provider right away:
- A lump anywhere on your body
- Losing weight without trying
- A lasting fever
- A cough that does not go away
- Body aches and pains that do not go away
- Changes or blood in your stools
- Skin changes or sores that do not go away or get worse
- Other changes or symptoms that are new or do not go away
Locally there is a community of committed individuals and families making sure that cancer never wins. Watch this video from 2011’s San Luis Valley Relay for Life.