Medical Records

The HIM department is open Monday – Friday

Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Fill out theAuthorization to Release Medical Record Information form and fax to (719)587-1377

Please call (719) 587-1392 with any questions or if you would like more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Can I get a copy of my birth certificate or my child's birth certificate at the hospital?

A. The hospital does not issue Birth Certificates. To get a copy you must go to the Vital Statistics Office at the Alamosa County Court House:

Vital Statistics
8999 Independence Way
Alamosa, CO 81101
(719) 589-6681

Q. Is there a charge to get a Birth Certificate?

A. The Vital Statistics office charges $20.00 for the first copy and $13.00 for each additional copy purchased on the same day.

Q. Can I get my immunization records from the hospital?

A. You can get your immunization records from the hospital or your physician's office.

Q. Can you tell me what blood type I have?

A. Unless you gave birth at San Luis Valley Health or received a blood transfusion here, we would not have that information. Please contact your physician.

Q. How can I get a copy of my Medical Record?

A. You must notify Medical Records 24 to 36 hours before you actually need the copies. You will either need to come into the HIM office and sign an authorization for Medical Records to release copies, or fax a letter and include the patient's name, Social Security number, date of birth, a list of the records you are requesting, and a contact number where you can be reached at. Staff will need your signature (which will be compared to the signature on your medical record). This may be faxed to: (719) 587-1377. If you do not have a fax machine available, you may also mail the request to:

San Luis Valley Health
Attn: HIM Department
106 Blanca Avenue
Alamosa, CO 81101

Q. Is there a charge to get my medical records copied?

A. Yes, the charge is $16.50 for the first ten or fewer pages, $0.75 per page for pages 11-40, and $0.50 for each additional page.

Q. What do I do if I find a mistake on my baby's Birth Certificate?

A. You will need to come to the Medical Records department at the hospital. We will check your baby's medical record. We check the birth registration form that you filled in at the time of the baby's birth to see if we can detect an error at the time the information was filled in. If the mistake is ours, we will pay the cost to correct it. If the information was filled out incorrectly, you will need to pay for any corrections that need to be made.

Q. Why wasn't the father's name on my baby's Birth Certificate?

A. If a couple is NOT married, and a paternity form was not filled out and signed at the time of birth, the father's name will not appear on the birth certificate.